- Copy the project to a new project directory
- Open it and rebuild it to ensure it builds correctly.
- In solution explorer right click the solution > Rename
- In solution explorer right click the project > Rename
- Below here may need updating….
- Rename the main project files to the new project name
- Open project by running Visual Studio and then opening the NewProjectName.vcproj file
- Expanding the project files tree, in Source Files delete the OldProjectName.cpp file and add the NewProjectName.cpp project file
- Delete the original Debug and Release folders.
- Menu > Build > Rebuild Solution and the project should compile.
If you rename the namespace you will need to update the RootNamespace property for the project. Unlike for C# and VB this doesn't seem to be possible via the project properties, but can be done by closing the project, right click YourProjectName.vcproj and open with notepad. Look for the <RootNamespace> entry and update it.
If you rename say the main window file (just right click and re-name) you will get a build error as you will need to update the include to it from the main project .cpp file.